Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Woman Walking on a Beach


Oil on canvas 16"x12"

In this painting a beautiful woman walks on a beach at sunset in a long white dress, her hair and dress floating in the seashore breeze. I wanted to capture the warm, soft colors of the "golden hour" with the pink tones of the sky, sand and sea permeating throughout the painting. I enjoy evoking dreamy scenes that I would like to step into such as this one. I have always been inspired by the seaside imagery of Joaquin Sorolla and Frank Benson. Both frequently featured women in white dresses in coastal light. 

I had fun using a combination of vigorous impasto strokes to convey the movement of wind in fabric and very soft edges throughout indicating the saturated, glowing light of sunset. This made for a richly textured and painting of a beautiful figure within an atmospheric landscape. 



No comments:

Post a Comment