Saturday, February 10, 2018

Woman by the Sea


Oil on canvas, 16"x12"

In this painting a beautiful woman sits in a rocky cove in a white dress, her hair and dress whipping in the wind, the sea sparkling behind her. I wanted to capture the feeling of a windy day at the seashore and the brilliant sun glinting off the water. I have always been inspired by the seaside imagery of Joaquin Sorolla and Frank Benson. Both frequently featured women in white dresses in bright coastal light. I love the many subtle shades of blues, pinks and yellows that can be found in the shadows and reflected light upon white. 

Lately I've been interested in the integration of the figure with an outside environment. I had fun using vigorous impasto strokes to convey the dazzling play of light and the movement of wind in fabric and hair. This made for a richly textured and lively painting combining a beautiful figure with an atmospheric landscape. I especially enjoyed evoking the feeling of warm salt-infused breezes and the joy of summer while painting in the cold, dark days of winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment